Discipline is key for me. Several months ago I was sitting on my back porch, going down a YouTube rabbit hole when I came across Jocko Willink. Jocko wrote a book called Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual. He is a retired Navy Seal, podcaster and author and absolutely nailed it. Being disciplined in life will give you the freedom to do what you want.
This phrase resonated with me and I keep seeing it in different places. Discipline Equals Freedom. Wow! We all have goals and dreams. You probably have written them down. You focus on them. Have you identified what is keeping you from achieving these goals and dreams?
Maybe you know exactly what needs to be done to reach your goal, but you just have not done it. I have not been writing and posting like I should be. Discipline. I have shown that I have the ability to be disciplined. First, I accomplished a Whole 30 in June. Second, I got up early almost every single morning to tend to my garden all summer long. I can do it, I’m just not doing it in all facets of my life.
I’ll be honest. I have a lazy streak. I can binge watch a series, watch YouTube for hours and get absolutely lost in a book. Just one more chapter…
If I discipline myself to limit those completely enjoyable activities and get on with what needs to be done. and be productive, I can create and shape the life that I want which will be completely enjoyable.
So, what is it that I want?
- To be healthy. This means losing weight and getting my thyroid under control. Maybe I might be able to stop wearing my CPAP.
- Get my home in order. I have too much stuff. I cleaned my closet last weekend and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. It gives me peace when my surroundings are clean and uncluttered.
- To look younger (or at least not old). I have really ramped up my skin care routine. I rarely used to wash my face before going to bed. The grossness of that became undeniable when I started wearing a CPAP and there would be makeup all over the mask in the morning. Eeeww!
- To share this journey with all of you. Thoughts of new blog posts are always floating through my head but I need to get those thoughts from my head to the screen.
How do I accomplish this?
- Finished my Whole 30 last month, now to keep most of those healthy habits going through to the holidays.
- I cleaned out my closet last weekend. Why not pick a space every week to clean, organize and purge?
- Set up a specific routine for my skin care. I just decided that I am going separate my skin care products from my makeup and establish a box or basket that has only the items that I am using on my face and neck. That way I will not have to rifle through the pile.
- Block the time to write and post. I have been watching Amy Landino on YouTube (yes, I watch a LOT of YouTube) and she has great videos on Calendar Blocking. I’m doing it!
What are you going to do?
Leave me a comment telling me what your goal is and your plan of attack. I’d love to know!